Subheader

Don't fret if you're visiting for the first time and the blog seems out-of-date. We still meet, regular as clockwork; we just don't blog about it every time!

Tuesday 17 January 2012

BBGG7 - What a night...


Everyone here is a BBGG-er
Last meeting was massive - a grand total of 27.  I would say I can't believe how many people turned up but I organise these things so I can.  However, it was still surprising and still gratifying.

Welcome to all our new faces - lots of you from Couchsurfing, a few from Gumtree and a hefty injection from Bath Gaming  Guild.  Very happy to meet you all and you are all welcome to return, on account of being fun, happy people.

It was so big that I can't do my usual rundown of what we played - I can name-drop but I can't give too many details.

Also, I've lost my bit of paper that told me the majority of games played. Please, please comment/email me and let me know so I can add them in.

I can tell you that we have three games of Settlers of Catan going on at once.

Jenga moved around from table to table as new people joined and warmed up... Some of Bath Gaming Guild kicked off with something strategy-based that took most of the evening.

A game of Mancala went on across the way as did a very amusing game of Yes or No! which sounds simple but is surprisingly hard; players recieve a set of questions that they must answer without saying yes or no.  The questions are tailored to increase the difficulty of how you answer and it is quite amazing how trained you are to tag yes or no in front of your answers.

A game of Mental Floss was present too - this was fun insofar as it was trivia-based and I think, to an extent, it had the edge on Trivial Pursuit.  The way the question mechanics worked was more variable and the trivia was more wide-ranging.  It was also better than Articulate insofar as it was less 90s/Anglocentric which always a problem for our non-English players or those under...I don't know....22.  Describing who Des Lynam is is no mean feat, I can tell you.

Multiple Catan
The last game I was involved in was Small Worlds, another landgrab/strategy based game.  You played a variety of races all competing for a land too small for the amount vying and had the interesting feature of the potential to fairly quickly cycle through races.  The more land owned, the more victory points, and should you abandon a race in favour of another, that race's owned land would continue to benefit you until taken over.  By this point, I was just straight-up drunk and my tactics weren't quite as sparkling as they could have been but I still really enjoyed having a playthrough.

I noticed the Couchsurfing contingent playing a real variety of games, some card-based, some involving little plastic doohickeys: further information would be grateful received.

The night tied up at closing time as usual with a good deal of us still there.  Bath Gaming Guild enjoyed joining us and we enjoyed having them.  We had a talk about how to integrate and the consensus for the moment is just 'see how it goes'.

They meet every Tuesday at the St. James' Wine Vaults (as long as the room-booking goes alright) so for the game-hungry amongst us, an opportunity to play every week with a choice of locations awaits you!

You can get more info and contact the Guild here - they're really friendly and play a really wide range of games.


Next BBGG meet on the 24th January, see you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment