Subheader

Don't fret if you're visiting for the first time and the blog seems out-of-date. We still meet, regular as clockwork; we just don't blog about it every time!

Thursday 16 February 2012

BBGG9 - A relaxed affair.

Hello, my dears!

I come to report on the 8th instance of the Bath Board Games Group - it was a good evening and a quiet but productive one.

The Bell had kindly gotten out their big table again and I arrived to find some familiar faces and some new faces as well! We had our habitual Jenga warm-up and then the evening proper started with a threesome of games; The Three Commandments, Dominion and Domain.

I was playing The Three Commandments on the bigger table.  This is a really wonderful pattern-solving game.  The theme is that of a High Priestess and her minions, setting up and carrying out a mystic ritual with a patterned board and 'artifacts' (small bits of wood you move around).
This isn't actually our board.  I forgot to take photos, boooo!

There are behaviour cards and movement cards that detail all kinds of things from the mundane (the player uses their right hand to move the artifact) to the unlikely (the player strokes the High Priestess with their artifact).  The HP is dealt 4 cards and decides if these actions or behaviours will be good or bad.  Doing something good earns you karma; doing something bad loses you karma.

You are told how many points you scored and the HP places a red counter in front of cards to indicate if it was due to good or bad action or behaviours.  The fun part is dissecting your move with everyone, trying to work out what it was you did to score!

If no-one scores any karma at all, this is a strike out for the HP (something I became painfully familiar with).  4 strikes and the HP is run out of town and everyone but they score a whopping 20 points.

Meanwhile, a smaller group played Dominion, a deck-building card game with elements of trading won by our resident business-woman.  I pottered over at one point and was told it was really hard but still great fun.  They certainly all looked like they were concentrating whenever I looked over!

To my left, 3 of us played Domain, a territory-building game that involved a lot of walls being built and little plastic knights moving around.  Again, much quiet and intense concentration coming from that part of the table; I was assured it enjoyable, however.

After the trauma of thoroughly losing at The Three Commandments due to being a shite High Priestess, I shifted gear and joined a very silly game of Cranium.  To my amusement, I found we had to do things like draw with our eyes shut, work out anagrams, hum tunes and do impressions of famous people.  It was fun although I found the game mechanics a little arduous.  It tries to cram a lot in.

Others played the ever-loved Ticket To Ride, I was involved in a bit of Blokus (and won the second game which assuaged my pride) and there was also a sort of city-management/trading game called Notre Dame at the back.

Folks started to drift off around 11 and the last of us discussed upcoming meets and how Bath Gaming Guild can integrate with us.

If I remember correctly, they will always be joining us for the first Tuesday of every month (until June, when our schedules diverge) due to booking problems  for that day at the St. James' Wine Vaults.

It was another great evening with a diverse and enthusiastic amount of gaming.  As always I look forward to the next.  See you on the 21st!

No comments:

Post a Comment